The MAD Project –
The Movie-A-Day Project
Enjoy with MAD
A New Movie Recommendation will be updated here every day. Every day will be allotted a genre after the first week of MAD is completed.
The archives will be updated in the MAD page accessible from the “Movies ” menu above.
The recommendation will be followed by a small overview, a micro review from me on why I think you should watch it and excerpts from reviews in popular review sites.
Today’s MAD Recommendation
MOVIE: GET SHORTY
IMDb link: Get Shorty (1995) – IMDb
IMDb General Rating: 6.9/10
My IMDb Rating: 7/10
Genre: Crime, Comedy
Chili Palmer is a loan shark working out of Miami, but he really doesn’t like it. He hates having to work with scum, especially Ray “Bones” Barboni, a local wiseguy who has been feuding with Chili for 12 years over a leather coat. Truth be told, Chili would much rather be making movies.
So when a dry-cleaner named Leo who owes Chili a few thousand dollars fakes his own death, rips-off his insurance company and heads for L.A., Chili sees a golden opportunity.
Partnering with Harry Zimm, a small-time producer most famous for his “Slime Creatures” series, and Karen Allen, a former scream-queen who desperately wants to produce, Chili plans to make a major motion picture starring two-time Academy Award-winner Michael Weir.
But there’s a few little problems with getting “Mr. Lovejoy” into production: Ray Bones has come to town, looking for Chili and the few grand that Leo owes him. Harry Zimm owes money to a group of drug-dealers led by Bo Cattlett, a criminal who is as ruthless as he is stupid. A gang of Colombian smugglers are sniffing around looking for their money, which is currently in an airport locker under D.E.A. surveillance, and, perhaps worst of all, Michael Weir is more interested in making a movie about Chili Palmer than he is in a Harry Zimm picture…
“Practically perfect in its unpretentious way, MGM’s Get Shorty is the kind of smart, witty, polished entertainment that restores one’s faith in the studio system.” — Film.com
“Hailed by many critics as one of the best films of 1995, this finely tuned black comedy sparked a renewed interest in movies based on books by prolific crime novelist Elmore Leonard, whose trademark combination of tight plotting and sharp humor is perfectly captured here.” — rottentomatoes
Why You should Watch it:
- First of all, look at the cast – John Travolta, Gene Hackman, Danny DeVito.
- Then of course Elmore Leonard, need I say more?
Why I loved it:
- For it’s intriguing and sarcastic take on how movies are made.
- For the Awesome Climax!
- For the comic timing of Travolta
- Mostly because I loved the book!
Warning: If you prefer books to movies, you should try the book first!
The BAD Project –
The Book-A-Day Project
A New Book Recommendation will be updated here every day. A short overview, a personal explanation and excerpts from popular reviews of the book will be included.
Which one to Pick???
Today’s BAD Recommendation
BOOK: STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND
GoodReads link: Stranger in a Strange Land
GoodReads General Rating: 3.75/15
My GoodReads Rating: 5/5
Genre: Science Fiction, Novel
Stranger in a Strange Land
Stranger in a Strange Land is the epic saga of an earthling, Valentine Michael Smith, born and educated on Mars, who arrives on our planet with psi powers – telepathy, clairvoyance, precognition, telekinesis, teleportation, pyrolysis, and the ability to take control of the minds of others – and complete innocence regarding the mores of man.
After his tutelage under a surrogate-father figure, Valentine begins his transformation into a messiah figure. His introduction into Earth society, together with his exceptional abilities, lead Valentine to become many things to many people: freak, scam artist, media commodity, searcher, free-love pioneer, neon evangelist, and martyr.
Heinlein won his third Hugo award for this novel, sometimes called Heinlein’s earthly “divine comedy.
“The first half of this novel is so amazing to me… The story of Valentine Michael Smith’s re-introduction to Earth life is such a great view of humans from the outside, that I can see why this book affected a generation. It poetically shows us our strengths, and our flaws. …oh that first half…” — Deven Science
“A brilliant mind-bender.”–Kurt Vonnegut.
Why You should Watch it:
- Have you ever heard the word “Grok” and wondered what it is? Like many influential works of literature, Stranger made a contribution to the English language: specifically, the word “grok“
- The Characters – Jubal and Smith are probably the two most powerful characters you will come across in science fiction literature.
- To understand Iron Maiden
- I think you get it – The book is too influential to not be read!
Why I loved it:
- “Although the narrative of Stranger in a Strange Land operates on many different levels, one obvious interpretation of Mike’s story would be as a postmodern retelling of the Jesus story. Before the novel even begins, we see that the title of Part One is “His Maculate Conception,” a satirical reference to the mythology of Christ’s immaculate conception.”
- The philosophy of it. it captivated me. How Heinlein managed to show us humanity seen from a stranger’s eyes…
- Also, I couldn’t stop using “I Grok You” to everybody for days 🙂
- The Book’s take on sexuality… Hmm, I don’t think I will elaborate on that now.
That is it for today folks! See you tomorrow! Hope you enjoy the picks!
PS. For readers from inside campus, a small bonus package is provided! The movie and the book can be lent from me personally from my username at DC++, please understand that I am only lending you the copy and you are advised to delete the copy of the movie/book after usage. The details will be updated along with the posts.
Disclaimer: This blog does not support the propagation of pirated material in any way and the books and movies are to be lent on a personal basis only. [Just in case :)]
Follow Me on Twitter