RSS

The MAD & The BAD: Today’s Dose of Entertainment

21 Feb

In the previous Post, Sunday’s genre has been decided – War Movies and Thriller/Murder books. Monday unfortunately turned out to be an off day and will be decided next week.

All picks will be updated at the dedicated page. Let us go ahead with today’s picks, shall we?

Today’s MAD Recommendation

MOVIE: THE GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED

IMDb link: The Greatest Game Ever Played (2005) – IMDb

IMDb General Rating: 7.3/10

My IMDb Rating: 8/10

Genre: Sport, History, Drama

The Greatest Game Ever Played

Plot:

Disney continues their string of sports films with The Greatest Game Ever Played directed by Bill Paxton. It tells the tale of Francis Ouimet, an amateur golfer in the early 1900’s. As a child he showed a love for the sport and even worked as a caddy at the local golf course. As an adult, despite his natural talent, he found himself held back by prejudice against the working class and his father who didn’t want him wasting his time with the game. Yet through luck and the help of a local golfing club member, Francis found himself given the opportunity to play as an amateur in the 1913 U.S. Open.

Up until that point the world of golf had been dominated by the British and Scots. Leading the British was Harry Vardon, aka The Stylist. Vardon had risen from lowly roots to become the best golfer in the world. Despite this, he found himself consistently excluded and looked down upon by “gentlemen” golfers. The 1913 U.S. Open was his chance to win acceptance into their exclusive society and overcome his self doubts about his class.

It was against this backdrop that Vardon and Ouimet, along with his pint-sized caddy Eddie Lowery, found themselves facing off in the greatest game of golf ever played…

Reviews:

“It’s by far the most inspirational sports movie to come along in many a month.”  — Seattle Post

“The technique is at the service of a game in which everything is at risk, and we like both players; our affection for them makes everything trickier, and certainly as the final rounds are played, the games themselves seem to have been scripted to create as much suspense as possible. I have no idea if the movie is based, stroke for stroke, on the actual competition at the 1913 U.S. Open. I guess I could find out, but I don’t want to know. I like it this way.” — Roger Ebert

“But that is beside the point. Like the best fairy tales, The Greatest Game Ever Played works precisely because it is so simply told, so devoid of irony and cynicism. In this I compare it with the Harry Potter or Pixar movies…”  — Ign.com

Why You should Watch it:

1. If you are in the mood for a good underdog triumph story
  2. If you are thinking of developing a liking for Golf, what with being in the corporate field and all :)
  3. If you are not in a particularly demanding mood today…

Why I loved it:

1. For the simple fact that it made the impossible possible. I never expected golf would ever interest me in any way ever. The movie had me tense and on the edge of my seat by the last swing.
  2. Brilliant cinematography and some wonderfully shot effects and scenes
  3. A historically correct story that I have to admit was inspiring.

_______________________________________________________________________

Today’s BAD Recommendation

BOOK: KAFKA ON THE SHORE by HARUKI MURAKAMI

GoodReads link: Kafka on the Shore

GoodReads General Rating: 4.04/5

My GoodReads Rating: 5/5

Genre: Suspense, HumorMagical Realism, Novel

Kafka On the Shore

Plot:

Comprising two distinct but interrelated plots, the narrative runs back and forth between the two, taking up each plotline in alternating chapters.

The odd chapters tell the 15-year-old Kafka’s story as he runs away from his father’s house to escape an Oedipal curse and to embark upon a quest to find his mother and sister. After a series of adventures, he finds shelter in a quiet, private library in Takamatsu, run by the distant and aloof Miss Saeki and the intelligent and more welcoming Oshima. There he spends his days reading the unabridged translation of A Thousand and One Nights and the collected works of Natsume Sōseki until the police begin inquiring after him in connection with a brutal murder.

The even chapters tell Nakata’s story. Due to his uncanny abilities, he has found part-time work in his old age as a finder of lost cats (a clear reference to The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle). The case of one particular lost cat puts him on a path that ultimately takes him far away from his home, ending up on the road for the first time in his life. He befriends a truck-driver named Hoshino. Hoshino takes him on as a passenger in his truck and soon becomes very attached to the old man.

Nakata and Kafka are on a collision course throughout the novel, but their convergence takes place as much on a metaphysical plane as it does in reality and, in fact, that can be said of the novel itself. Due to the Oedipal theme running through much of the novel, Kafka on the Shore has been called a modern Greek tragedy.

Reviews:

“A real page-turner, as well as an insistently metaphysical mind-bender”  — John Updike

“I’ve never read a novel that I found so compelling because of its narrative inventiveness and love of storytelling…great entertainment”– Guardian review

Murakami is like a magician who explains what he’s doing as he performs the trick and still makes you believe he has supernatural powers. So great is the force of the author’s imagination, and of his conviction in the archaic power of the story he is telling, that all this junk is made genuine.” — New York Times

“Murakami’s prose style is addictive, and the depth and scope of his work is astounding. Not since Steinbeck has any writer managed to lift so much of the human psyche and deposit it in one novel. Readers will come away from this book shattered, but reawakened to the limitless possibilities in themselves and in the cold world in which we live.” — Post Gazette

Why You should Read it:

1. If you are a classical music lover, you will enjoy the role of music in driving the narrative.
  2. If you are not a classical music lover, the book will probably make you one – just take the trouble to search in YouTube for the Beethoven and Schubert music alluded to and you will find yourself loving them.
  3. The quirky characters, the half fantasy-half reality, half japanese-half western settings everything will give you an atmosphere rarely found in books.
  4. While Murakami was writing this, he was also working on a Japanese Translation of Catcher in the Rye. And you can see bits of Holden Caulfield in Kafka, So if you loved Catcher in the Rye…

Why I loved it:

1. For the simple fact that Murakami did not disappoint after The Wind-Up bird Chronicle. Every author peaks with some work and I honestly thought it had to be Wind-Up Bird, I couldn’t see him topping that. Well, he equalled it at least.
  2. The open-ended riddles gives the reader the feeling of solving some internal puzzle as the story unfolds, I loved that feeling of being allowed to write my own meaning into the larger than life events being played out.
  3. It introduced me to the haunting melody of Beethoven – The Archduke Trio. I never grow tired of listening to that.
  4. “In some way the spirit of the book is a throwback to that music, as it invites the reader to relax and dream and drift along with the flow of time. Water is everywhere: Mr. Murakami often invokes imagery of streams and spring rain, of a river that follows an unexpected path. ”Kafka on the Shore” artfully sets such currents in motion.”

That is it for today folks! See you tomorrow! Hope you enjoy the picks!

PS. For readers from inside campus, a small bonus package is provided! The movie and the book can be lent from me personally from my username at DC++, please understand that I am only lending you the copy and you are advised to delete the copy of the movie/book after usage. The details will be updated along with the posts.

Disclaimer: This blog does not support the propagation of pirated material in any way and the books and movies are to be lent on a personal basis only. [ Just in case :) ]

38 Comments

Posted by on February 21, 2011 in Books, Movie Discussions, Movies

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

38 responses to “The MAD & The BAD: Today’s Dose of Entertainment

1. Ging

February 23, 2011 at 03:05

Your reviews get better and better! Especially like the -‘why I loved it’ part! Good job! Keep it going!

2. Auto Insurance

December 10, 2011 at 23:08

Seriously, one of the best articles I’ve read in a very long time. http://www.fireweedmedia.com

3. digiprog3

December 11, 2011 at 16:03

It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read more things about it!

4. Thomasine Niedzielski

January 5, 2012 at 07:28

Apple now has Rhapsody as an app, which is a great start, but it is currently hampered by the inability to store locally on your iPod, and has a dismal 64kbps bit rate. If this changes, then it will somewhat negate this advantage for the Zune, but the 10 songs per month will still be a big plus in Zune Pass’ favor.

5. violin buy online

January 23, 2012 at 18:27

You’ve got definitely nailed this 1!

6. Lala Wrighton

January 23, 2012 at 21:14

I simply had to thank you so much yet again. I do not know the things I would’ve done without the entire methods provided by you on that subject. It absolutely was a very traumatic condition in my opinion, but being able to view the professional approach you dealt with the issue took me to leap with fulfillment. I’m happy for this advice and in addition sincerely hope you really know what a powerful job you happen to be putting in instructing others by way of a web site. Probably you haven’t met any of us.

7. bloging

January 24, 2012 at 05:46

Hello, I really liked this information, I hope you continue updating, Greetings

8. outdoor shed building plans

January 24, 2012 at 15:41

Does your webpage have got a speak to page? I’m getting difficulty finding it but, I would like to shoot you an email. I’ve obtained some recommendations for your blog you may be considering listening to. In any event, wonderful website and I look ahead to seeing it develop with time.

9. odsniezanie poznan

January 26, 2012 at 06:18

Great blog. I add this website to my bookmarks. THX!

10. Online Business

January 27, 2012 at 09:06

Hey there! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be ok. I’m definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.

11. immobilier

January 27, 2012 at 12:22

Coucou chers lecteurs quel est votre point de vue de mon nouveau site sur l’ immobilier ?

12. Maxima Bilski

January 27, 2012 at 16:58

I can just say such a relief to find someone that actually knows what theyre referring to online. You need to learn how to bring a worry to light and make it important. More people should see this and see why side of the story. I cant believe you aren’t popular as you definitely possess the gift.

13. Hobert Gyatso

January 27, 2012 at 20:26

Hands down, Apple’s app store wins by a mile. It’s a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I’m not sure I’d want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.

14. Vasiliki Mihelcic

January 30, 2012 at 06:24

Between me and my husband we’ve owned more MP3 players over the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few years I’ve settled down to one line of players. Why? Because I was happy to discover how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

15. ghd rettetang test

January 30, 2012 at 15:53

I have to show thanks to you just for bailing me out of this type of scenario. Right after exploring through the online world and getting opinions that were not powerful, I was thinking my life was over. Existing devoid of the approaches to the issues you have sorted out through your main short post is a critical case, and the kind that would have badly damaged my career if I hadn’t discovered your web page. Your good natural talent and kindness in touching all the stuff was important. I am not sure what I would’ve done if I hadn’t discovered such a thing like this. It’s possible to now look forward to my future. Thank you so much for this impressive and effective help. I won’t think twice to refer your web sites to anyone who needs guidance about this subject matter.

16. Oren Diffee

February 1, 2012 at 05:07

If you’re still on the fence: grab your favorite earphones, head down to a Best Buy and ask to plug them into a Zune then an iPod and see which one sounds better to you, and which interface makes you smile more. Then you’ll know which is right for you.

17. houston texans jersey

February 1, 2012 at 14:32

Precisely the facts we is in research associated with. Should certainly disrupt my personal costs quickly.

18. Black Mold Removal

February 4, 2012 at 18:34

Hey there! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any tips?

19. ensiklopedi bocah muslim

February 4, 2012 at 22:01

I really enjoy looking through on this internet site , it has got great content . “The longing to produce great inspirations didn’t produce anything but more longing.” by Sophie Kerr.

20. New England Patriots Jerseys

February 5, 2012 at 02:15

Many thanks with regard to supplying individuals with extremely enjoyable chance to read in detail from this blog. It’s usually therefore awesome and also jam-packed with many different fun for me personally and my office associates to visit your blog at minimal 3 times per week to see the most recent stuff you will have. And certainly, I’m also generally happy concerning the fantastic concepts you serve. Particular 2 details in this article are in fact the best we have had.

21. Black Mold

February 7, 2012 at 19:29

Hi there! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an established blog. Is it very difficult to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to begin. Do you have any tips or suggestions? Many thanks

22. louis vuitton handbags

February 9, 2012 at 20:42

Actually Excellent. I??m also an expert this particular topic thus can understand your energy

23. botas ugg primark

February 10, 2012 at 11:54

Spot on for this write-up, I seriously believe this web site requires much more attention. I’ll probably be once more to learn much more, thank you for your tips.

24. Katalog Stron

February 11, 2012 at 14:12

It’s super site, I was looking for something like this

25. chaussures guess femme

February 11, 2012 at 22:21

No matter the ending is perfect or not, you cannot disappear from my world.

26. سكس لبنانيات

February 12, 2012 at 09:29

Wonderful designing, lastly revealed the place for impressive background textures

27. Omer Deluco

February 12, 2012 at 11:27

The very next time Someone said a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me just as much as this place. What i’m saying is, Yes, it was my option to read, but I actually thought youd have something interesting to say. All I hear is a variety of whining about something you could fix in the event you werent too busy seeking attention.

28. mlb hats

February 15, 2012 at 16:32

An exceedingly good post. This short article covers for me exactly what this subject is determined by plus some of the essential benefits that may be caused by knowing about it as being should you. A friend as soon as pointed out that you have a completely different way of thinking when you do something for certain instead of when youre simply just toying by using it. In the case of this sort of topic, In my opinion you’re taking, or start to think of, a more professional in addition to thorough approach to each exactly what and how you write, which allows you to keep on and get better and guide other people who have no idea anything by what you’ve shared right here. Thank you.

29. Wanda Toczek

February 19, 2012 at 14:45

There are a few interesting deadlines in the following paragraphs but I don‘t determine I see them all center to heart. There’s some validity on the other hand will take hold opinion until I check into it further. Good article , thanks and now we want more! Added to FeedBurner at the same time

30. CNA Training Online

February 20, 2012 at 11:41

Hello, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues. When I look at your website in Chrome, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, awesome blog!

31. Justin Katz

February 21, 2012 at 00:48

While I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and after this whenever a comment is added I recieve four emails sticking with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

32. lacoste polo størrelser

March 6, 2012 at 13:47

Next time I study a blogs, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I’m talking about, I am aware it was eventually my choice to read, however I really assumed you’d have something unique to talk about. All of I learn is really a bunch of whining about something that you can resolve if you werent too busy looking for focus.

33. العاب فلاش

March 6, 2012 at 17:32

This could be a person special of the most worthwhile blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Actually Superb. I am also a specialist in this topic so I can fully grasp your tricky employment.

34. hermes handbags

March 8, 2012 at 10:53

You can find unique ideas soon enough in it all publish but I don’t comprehend if I see all of them core to heart. There may be a few validity however I will take hold opinion until I look at it all further. Excellent writing , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well

35. mbt jälleenmyyjät

March 12, 2012 at 06:35

Spot on with this write-up, I truly suppose this website needs far more consideration. I’ll in all probability be once more to learn rather more, thanks for that info.

36. العاب سيارات جديدة

March 12, 2012 at 11:32

Can I just say exactly what a relief to locate someone that actually knows what theyre discussing on the web. You certainly understand how to bring a worry to light making it important. Lots more people have to read this and understand why side in the story. I cant believe youre not popular because you definitely have the gift.

37. timberland femme

March 14, 2012 at 06:21

I wish to express my thanks to the writer for rescuing me from this type of issue. Right after surfing around throughout the world-wide-web and getting recommendations which were not beneficial, I figured my entire life was well over. Being alive without the answers to the difficulties you have resolved by way of your main write-up is a crucial case, and those which may have badly damaged my entire career if I hadn’t encountered the website. Your capability and kindness in dealing with the whole thing was valuable. I am not sure what I would’ve done if I had not encountered such a step like this. I am able to now relish my future. Thanks for your time so much for this impressive and effective help. I will not hesitate to endorse your web site to anybody who ought to have support about this matter.

38. Warren Mercante

March 18, 2012 at 03:11

I must convey my respect for your kind-heartedness for those people that absolutely need assistance with this content. Your personal commitment to getting the message up and down appears to be pretty advantageous and have frequently enabled professionals much like me to realize their endeavors. Your entire interesting hints and tips means a whole lot to me and even more to my office workers. Warm regards; from all of us.

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" - Walt Whitman

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 310 other followers